Thursday, August 17, 2006

Modus Operandi II

In order to answer that question properly I will first ask another of my readers: what is the use of a certain modus operandi to the killer? Why does he insist in repeating it, in having patterns, knowing that it will only make it easier for the cops to catch him? Why doesn’t he kill different people, in distant places, in different moments, in different ways? Why doesn’t he kill one person with a knife, another with a gun, confusing the police and therefore avoiding to get caught?


Let’s say you’re hungry. Very hungry. You had breakfast at 6 am and now it’s 5 pm and you haven’t eaten anything all day. I do that sometimes, I live alone, so I have pretty much no structure when it comes to food, I either worry about it or I won’t eat, cause nobody will worry about that for me. Major nuisance. So when I’m working and I’m hungry it becomes harder to concentrate. I catch myself thinking, “when I leave my office I’m gonna stop by this place and buy… a burger! I love burgers. Oh no! Or I could go by that other place and get some sushi, I love sushi. Hummm… sushi”.

So now I’m fantasizing about burgers and sushi. I can’t help it, I’m very hungry. If I try to forget about it I’ll remember every time my stomach wants me to. Someone could come to me and ask, “are you hungry? Do you wanna eat a raw egg, I have one right here”. I won’t eat that, yuk, disgusting, I’ll keep on fantasizing about my burger and sushi – because I don’t like that. I’ll wait, knowing it will make me even more hungry, but I’ll wait so I can eat what gives me pleasure and enjoyment, not just anything.

And that is a simplified way of explaining what’s the use of a killer’s modus operandi to himself. His modus operandi is something that services his fantasy. He could kill in different ways, but that would be like the raw egg to me. Why bother eating it if it won’t satisfy my fantasy of eating stuff I like? And I can eat what I like if I want to.

The killer has urges, kinda like my hunger. And, just like me with burgers and sushi, he has specific ways to satisfy his hunger. It’s incidental to him that the release of his fantasy is illegal. And the violent life a psychopath will lead always begins with fantasy.

Jeffrey Dahmer, the famous american psychopath who ended up killing over 30 men and boys, had a lot to say about that. After he was caught and tried for his crimes, he revealed a lot about his life and early years. It is known that Jeffrey started fantasizing about violence and death as a very young boy. He began by developing a profound interest in dead creatures. When he found a dead animal, road kill mostly, he would take them to the woods and open them up. He wanted to see them on the inside, their organs. He later started killing the animals himself in order to dissect them. So it doesn’t surprise us that Dahmer later became a very aggressive mutilator. He had no real pleasure in their victims’ death or pain; he drugged them before killing them, and most of the time they didn’t even know what became of them. He had consuming fantasies of making his victims become a part of him, so after dismembering them and opening them up (his dissecting interest endured all his life), he would eat them. He wanted them to stay, and that was his motivation always. It is because of those fantasies too that Dahmer took a long time to dispose of his victims’ bodies. He kept them at home with him, rotting in his bed.

Therefore, the killer’s actions (his modus operandi) are closely related with his need to safisfy his violent fantasies. It wouldn’t satisfy Dahmer’s fantasies at all to kill someone, say, with a gun, and leave their bodies there, on the street. It wouldn’t satisfy him to rape a living person, only a dead one. It wouldn’t satisfy him to kill women because he was a homosexual. He had no desire for women. As much as I don’t have any desire for a raw egg.

A killer is trapped by his modus operandi. The most important thing to him is his specific fantasy of violence. His M.O. can’t be changed because he wants things to happen that way. The more rich and complex is his fantasy, the more rich and complex will be his M.O. And if a killer’s fantasies are poor and chaotic, his M.O. will be poor and chaotic as well.



(watch parts of an interview Jeffrey Dahmer gave from death row about his childhood and crimes, right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ndOUewUCc)

***

Para responder a esta questão, antes irei indagar meus leitores com a seguinte pergunta: para que serve o modus operandi para o criminoso? Por que ele insiste em repeti-lo, sabendo que isto facilitará o trabalho da polícia em encontrá-lo? Por que não mata pessoas diferentes, de lugares mais distantes, em momentos diferentes, com características diferentes? Por que não mata um com faca, outro com revólver, confundindo a polícia e evitando ser pego?


Vamos fingir que você está com fome, muita fome. Tomou café da manhã às 6 e agora são 5 da tarde e você não comeu mais nada até agora. Às vezes eu faço isso; como moro sozinha não tenho nenhuma infra-estrutura em relação às refeições. Ou me preocupo com isso ou não como, é simples assim, pois ninguém irá se preocupar no meu lugar. Quando estou trabalhando, portanto, e tenho fome, fica muito mais difícil me concentrar. Me pego pensando em coisas do tipo, “quando eu sair daqui vou passar em tal lugar e me comprar… um hamburger! Adoro hamburger. Mas não! Posso sair daqui e ir naquele outro lugar de sushi, amo sushi. Hummmm… sushi”.

Então eu começo a fazer essas pequenas fantasias meio incontroláveis sobre hanburgers e sushi. Não posso evitar, estou com muita fome. Se eu tentar me esquecer dela logo mais vou me lembrar de novo, meu estômago vai se manifestar e me lembrar. Nesse momento alguém poderia chegar para mim e dizer, “você está com fome? Quer comer um ovo cru, tenho um aqui”. Vou dizer que não, eca, que nojo, prefiro ficar pensando no meu hamburger e no meu sushi – porque eu não gosto de ovo cru. Eu espero, mesmo sabendo que quanto mais o tempo passa, com mais fome eu fico. Prefiro esperar e poder comer alguma coisa que me dê prazer, que me seja agradável, não quero comer qualquer coisa.

E essa é uma forma simplificada de se explicar o uso que o modus operandi de um assassino tem para si próprio. Seu modus operandi está à serviço de sua fantasia. Ele até poderia matar de outras maneiras, mas seria como o ovo cru para mim. Por que comê-lo se não vai nem satisfazer minha vontade de comer as coisas mais agradáveis? E eu posso comer as coisas mais agradáveis, se quiser.

O assassino tem necessidades, meio assim, como minha fome. E assim como eu e meus hamburgers, ele tem formas específicas de satisfazer sua fome. Para ele é incidental que a forma de realizar sua fantasia é ilegal. E a vida violenta que um psicopata levará no futuro começa a se desenvolver usando a fantasia como combustível.

Jeffrey Dahmer, o famoso psicopata americano que acabou por matar mais de 30 homens e meninos, teve muito a dizer sobre isso. Depois que ele foi julgado e condenado por seus crimes, acabou revelando muita informação sobre sua vida e sua infância. Hoje sabemos que Jeffrey era ainda um menino pequeno quando começou a fantasiar sobre violência e morte. Ele começou desenvolvendo um profundo interesse por criaturas mortas. Quando encontrava algum animal morto, principalmente em acidentes de estrada, ele levava seu corpo até algum lugar deserto e o dissecava. Ele queria vê-los por dentro, seus órgãos, eram algo que fascinava. Mais para frente ele próprio matava os animais que dissecava. Não nos surpreende saber que Jeffrey Dahmer mais tarde se tornou um dos mais agressivos mutiladores – mas não tinha grande prazer no ato de matar, ou na dor da vítima, pelo contrário. Costumava drogar suas vítimas antes de matá-las, e essas mal percebiam o que lhes acabava por acontecer. Dahmer tinha fantasias poderosas de um dia poder fazer o outro ser parte dele, comia partes de suas vítimas, depois de desmembrá-las e dissecá-las. Queria que as pessoas ficassem, essa sempre foi sua motivação. Por causa disso Dahmer demorava o máximo possível para se desfazer dos corpos de suas vítimas. Ficavam ali com ele, apodrecendo em sua cama.

Com isso percebemos que as atitudes do assassino (que compõem seu modus operandi) estão intimamente ligadas com a satisfação de suas fantasias. Dahmer não se satisfaria em matar alguém na rua com um tiro, ou em violentar alguém que esteja vivo. Não ficaria satisfeito em matar mulheres, era homossexual. Não tinha desejo por mulheres. Do mesmo jeito que eu não tenho vontade de comer o ovo cru.

Um assassino está sempre preso ao seu modus operandi, qualquer que seja. A coisa mais importante para ele é sua fantasia específica de violência. Seu modus operandi não pode mudar muito porque ele que que as coisas aconteçam daquele jeito. Quanto mais complexas e ricas forem suas fantasias violentas, mais complexo e rico será seu modus operandi. Se as fantasias de um assassino são pobres e caóticas, seu modus operandi também será pobre e caótico.



(Assista partes de uma entrevista que Jeffrey Dahmer deu direto do corredor da morte sobre sua infância e seus crimes, bem aqui: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ndOUewUCc)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home